blue

Monday, April 4, 2011

Shelby's Birth Story

This may be a very long post that takes me a while to write, but here goes. I want to write it all down before I forget anything. On Saturday, March 19th, we all stayed around the house and did yard work. I did more than I should have. I planted flowers, hosed off the porch, etc. I felt good and wanted to get some last minute things done before Shelby came. I even walked up and down the driveway several times. Sunday morning, I woke up a little sore from all of my chores. But, we went to 9:30 church and came home. I was sore and crampy, but wasn't sure if that meant anything. I tried to rest while Claire did. I just kind of felt like something was up. We ate dinner and that was the first contraction I remember. It didn't feel like what I remembered, so I didn't give it too much thought. We got Claire ready for bed and watched TV. By 10:00pm, I told Bucky I thought they were contractions. We laid in bed and talked and were able to sleep from 11pm-3am. By 3am, they were coming pretty randomly. I decided to get up and shower before I was in too much pain. Bucky and I got our bags ready. Then we started walking up and down the driveway from 4am-7:30am. Bucky was so sweet. He was right there with me the whole time. He held my hand, we talked, and he timed the contractions. It was a time I will never forget. I will think about it every single time I walk up that driveway. We were so excited and anxious to meet our baby. We called Mindy at about 5:30am so she could get ready and come over to take Claire to school. I called my partner at work, Chris, so let him know I wouldn't be coming in that morning. We called our parents and told them we weren't sure of anything yet, but to get up and get ready. Last, we called labor and delivery at the hospital around 6:30am. We told them my contractions were strong and about every 10 minutes. They totally blew me off and said this could go on for 2 more weeks. They said to take a shower/bath, eat something, and take Tylenol. I told them I had already done all these things and that I would just go to the office at 8am to get checked. We got Claire up. She was a little confused but got dressed and went to school without any fuss or tears. Thank goodness. It would have been hard to leave her upset. Bucky and I got the car loaded and were at Dr. Litsey's office at 8am. Once again, the receptionist blew us off. She said all the doctors were in a meeting and that we may have to wait a while. Meanwhile, my contractions were coming every 7 minutes. I just kept walking and breathing through them. Bucky got very impatient. Finally, my 2 regular nurses, Velma and Nancy, called me back. They did the normal routine. They offered me water and a room to lay down in. I just kept walking. We saw Dr. Litsey around 8:45am. I was 5cm dilated. I suggested we go home and wait for the contractions to get closer together. Dr. Litsey and Bucky both said 'no', you are going to the hospital. So, we went across the street and got checked in. They didn't even make me go to an observation room, straight to the delivery room. By the time I got settled and Bucky was able to come back with me, it was 9:20am. Dr. Alverson was on call. I had never seen him, but my good friend, Elyse, loves him. He was very kind and seemed to really care. I expressed to him and the nurses that we wanted a natural childbirth. I could tell that they were kind of doubting me, but I knew I could do it. My parents got to the hospital around 10am. We were able to talk a little bit, in between contractions. The worst part of labor to me was laying in the bed. I couldn't stand it. I stood some and sat in a rocking chair. Movement seemed to really help me. Contractions started coming faster. My parents went to the waiting room, after a quick prayer. I was 8cm. Contractions were intense, but I was able to get a break in between them. Bucky was right there by me, holding my hand and reassuring me. I asked to be checked again, but I was still 8cm. What? I told Bucky I was about to loose control. He talked me through it. Dr. A came in and broke my water. It seemed to take forever to get to 10cm. But, finally around 11:30 or 11:45am, I was ready to push. The weird thing is, I never got the urge to push. I just had to make myself do it. My back was killing me and the contractions seemed to have no break. For the 27 minutes I pushed, I don't think I ever opened my eyes. The nurses, Dr. A, and Bucky were great coaches and a great encouragement. When baby Street finally came out, I opened my eyes and saw her. It didn't register that I didn't know the sex until Bucky said, 'It's a Girl!'. He was very excited and I was relieved. Shelby Leigh was born at 12:16pm March 21, 2011. She had a lot of hair and was a healthy 7lb 3oz and 19.5 inches. Funny how I thought she was going to be a big baby! Bucky was very emotional. Dr. A joked that he didn't know who pushed harder, me or Bucky. I was still having contractions and pain, waiting on the placenta to come out. It took 26 minutes, but it finally came out. I felt like something wasn't right, but then again, I had never done it all natural. Dr. A talked about bleeding and told me to call him if it continued. I held sweet Shelby and was able to nurse her for a few minutes while Bucky told our families. He came in and I told him something didn't feel right. I was still in so much pain. I thought it was supposed to instantly go away. He called the nurse in. I was still bleeding heavily. Within 30 seconds, there were 10 people in the delivery room. Bucky was holding Shelby. The anesthesiologist came in. Dr. A talked about doing a DNC or possible hysterectomy. I was so out of it. I had one nurse starting a second IV while the other inserted a catheter. Meanwhile, I felt EVERYTHING. They took me back to the operating room and I remember saying a prayer as I went to sleep. I woke up and asked about Shelby and Bucky. They said they were both fine. Dr. A came in a few minutes later and said there was an extra 'finger' to my placenta that was stuck up in the top of my uterus. He just reached in and got it out. He said I lost a lot of blood and may have to have a transfusion. He also mentioned that if I had gotten the epidural, he could have removed it in the delivery room. Who would have thought? But, I recovered over the next few days, though I felt weak. By Wednesday morning, my red blood cell levels were still dropping. I was re-checked and Dr. Golden said I could go home without a blood transfusion. Thank the Lord! I am on high dose iron twice a day. All in all, the birth went how I wanted it too. Sweet Shelby was very cooperative during labor. She did exactly what she was supposed to do and I was able to deliver her the way I wanted. After that, everything else was in God's hands. I know He was with me and my family the whole time. Shelby has been a blessing and we are so thankful for her health. So, that is the story of Shelby's arrival!

1 comment:

Alli and Korey said...

Wow, you did it natural! That is amazing and I am so proud of you! That is a big accoplishment. I really wanted to do it with Shep but was too scared, made it all the way to 8 though. He was born in 2 pushes so I wish I had held put bc i think i could have. Glad everything turned out okay and you and Shelby are healthy. I LOVE her name! She is beautiful just like big sis : )